1. The weather - This goes without saying, really. Spain is the sunniest country in Europe with an average of 300 sunny days a year. Waking up to blue skies most days lifts the spirits for sure.
2. Health - People in Spain can expect an average of almost eighty years of healthy living and a high average life expectancy of just under eighty-one and a half years. The public health system is very good.
3. The Landscape - Mainland Spain and its islands offer a multitude of beautiful landscapes - from the Mediterranean coast and beaches to alpine regions, forests, and volcanic islands. Where we live in Andalucia you can go skiing in the Sierra Nevada in the morning, then sunbathe in the beach in the afternoon.
4. Cost of Living - Petrol, groceries, restaurants & bars, all see lower prices than most other European countries, so you can enjoy a good way of life. Typically a ´Menu del Dia´, which is usually three courses and a drink is €8.50.
5. Siestas - Many shops and businesses close for a few hours in the afternoon but then are open into the evening. A good excuse to put your feet up and relax in the afternoon, knowing you can always pop out later to do any errands. We find this especially good in the summer months where afternoon temeratures are high and it really is too hot to do anything (that´s my excuse anyway).
6. Fiestas - Oh, do the Spaniards know how to party! Barely a week goes by without a parade or festival. And it is common for parties to last well into the night. Wherever you go in Spain, check out local websites to find out what is going on in the area, as you really wouldn´t want to miss anything.
7. Friendly people - the Spanish, on the whole, are very friendly and welcoming to other nationalities. In our experience, if you make a little effort to speak Spanish they will always help you. Many (especially younger Spaniards) do speak very good English too. Immerse yourself in the culture and you will make friends easier.
8. Spanish culture - People in Spain enjoy a much more relaxed pace of life. They enjoy spending time with family and 60% of Spaniards go to church. Spain has a rich and diverse history with many castles, cathedrals and other places of interest. The architecture of Barcelona is particularly stunning.
9. Outdoor Life - Wander through a white-washed village, enjoy the vast open spaces and beaches. Or go skiing in the mountains. Wid-surf in Tarifa, ski in the Sierra Nevadas, hike through mountains, there is an abundance of activities you can do, helped of course by the great weather.
10. Food - From tapas to paella, the Spanish love their food with many regional traditional dishes, which must be tried. Based on rich, fresh ingredients from all over the country the best way to sample Spanish cuisine is with tapas - every tapas bar with have a wide selection to choose from.
Here's a link to the top ten foods with recipes
What would you add to the list? Comment below!